Rode VideoMic Me Directional Microphone review
I excitedly bought the Rode VideoMic Me Directional Microphone for iPhone and iPad from Amazon UK for £48.91, hoping that it would solve the issue of recording clean audio from >1 person facing the camera.
After using it for a week, I have discovered a couple of issues:
- static/crackles in non-windy environments (I guess just by moving it about)
- the dead cat seems to be needed almost all the time (bit ridiculous)
- captures electrical noise whilst being charged by lightning cable
- was hoping I could monitor sound whilst recording but you can't from the rear headphone jack
- if you click/plug it in whilst recording, I found you can get crazy mis-aligned audio!
- Example test recording of an interview with the RØDE VideoMic Me without the dead cat
- Example recording of being outside on a still night without dead cat
- Best VideoMic Me recording I've made so far without the dead cat
- More about the Magewell USB3 capture
- More about my Archlinux recording setup
So my rating is 2/5 atm. Disappointed.
UPDATE: I should have read B&H reviews before ordering from Amazon UK.