Singapore's low birth rate
- Expensive to be born here
- There aren't any nice venues to have a bonk. Hotel 81 is like visiting a dentist.
- Once you have kids, you must use the more expensive taxis to travel without a confusing and inconvenient child restraint
- Schools are super competitive and private schools are very expensive
- There could be more children's activities
Extra hurdles if you're an expatriate
- No citizenship if you're born in the country
- If you are offered citizenship, you need to reject your existing citizenships & ancestry
- A male PR child must serve in the army for two years
- No baby bonus
- Paid maternity leave by employer is only 2 months. Singaporeans get extra 2 months paid by SG Gov
The good news
It's possible to get help, but with modern accommodation lacking helper quarters and with levies going up all the time, it can be tricky to afford that help.