No wallet in Singapore?
On April 5th 2017 I lost my wallet. I am pretty sure it fell out, after quickly stuffing it in my front pocket.
I didn't recover it, despite realising my wallet fell out minutes later. Singapore police were not interested since I wasn't too sure it was stolen. My local condo security was its usual incompetent self despite having a camera trained on the gate where my wallet fell out.
The wallet had about 200SGD in it, which is almost half the monthly salary of a worker, so I am going to guess this opportunistic crime was just too tempting for someone. Btw I not 100% sure I had a business card in there, but if you Google "Kai Hendry"... you will find me.
What my old wallet looked like
- OCBC ATM card - for withdrawing cash, paying by NETS & VISA (including Pay Wave)
- Cash ... I actually usually carry MYR and SGD in cash since I am often in Malaysia.
- Condo gate key - simple RFID based one, trivial to duplicate
- Ezlink card for public transport and can be used rarely elsewhere.. like for ActiveSG
- The Singapore identity card,
which is an offence not to carry, which I have just learnt is not required to carry the card on the person
I sometimes carry business cards but I often give them out at various Singaporean meetups and quickly exhaust them.
What I want my wallet to look like
Sidenote: The last four digits of my Visa updated overnight from 1753 to replacement 6041 in my Apple wallet after I reported my previous Visa as lost. HOW COOL IS THAT?!
With my OCBC Visa in my Apple Pay wallet, I don't have to carry the OCBC ATM card unless I need to withdraw cash.
As for cash, I keep it at the back of my phone inside my iPhone 7+ Quadlock case. However the issue with this is that 50SGD notes does not fit!! Even the 10SGD almost goes over the camera. So I am left carrying the smaller 2SGD & 5SGD notes.
The Ezlink... I've yet to transfer an Ezlink chip to my iPhone case. I am plucking up the courage. It doesn't seem very easy.
As for the condo card, I am looking for a small RFID card, small enough of course to fit underneath my quadlock case.
Pros of this (unrealised) setup:
- No wallet in my back pocket!
- Easier to find via Find my Iphone
- One less thing to worry about it!
Impossible to withdraw cash since I wouldn't carry the ATM card with this setupUOB do this! and so does OCBC
- Can carry only a small amount of cash (2/5 .. maybe 10SGD notes ... or folded 50SGD)
- Limited to spend only 100SGD via Paywave... ..actually set by Merchant
- The Singapore IC in the back of the phone between the iphone and Quadlock case is very cramped
- No space for cards
I could try this Quadlock case converter to relieve the pressure of cards, but obviously when I am on my bike I want that socket back.
Not having cash in Singapore is a significant problem. Cashless payments do feel only limited to big business who can afford the expensive (and time consuming) PDQ fees. In South Africa I noticed the cashless SnapScan & Zapper Apps (where you pay by QR code) used be small businesses... I wonder when they will hit Singapore?! Don't get me wrong, I don't want to completely depend on Apple!