T-mobile G1 UK launch FAIL
- Though I signed up and pre-registered T-mobile’s newsletter did not provide any information how to purchase the G1
- I called up my local T-mobile branch in Woking and they said they’ll only get the device in late in November
- I surprisingly found out today you could buy a G1 from SMStextNews.
- I call the Oxford circus store, but I can’t get through. I even call T-mobile customer services, who can’t tell what their stock levels are and they can’t reach the store either. Arf.
- So in London I rushed to the Oxford street store to see if I could purchase a G1.
- T-mobile store had about 20 staff. Pity most of them could only demonstrate the phone and they couldn’t actually sell the device. Retarded.
- After asking for a black G1, the manager says she has to check in the back room. WTF? You’re almost out? I don’t believe this. Anyway I have a meeting over at OMTP and I’ll come back in a couple of hours after reserving one.
- I return to Oxford street and entered the wrong store at 393 Oxford street, they say don’t worry I can buy the phone here.
- I go through a tiresome credit check where they ask too much information. Feck, I could afford to buy it outright!
- So I’ve signed up for 40GBP for 18months. Deep breath.
- Shop assistant can’t figure out how to open the battery cover. Four staff are taking turns trying to open it.
- Eventually back cover flies off. I am thinking its damaged. No visible damage though. Phew.
- SIM card in, firing up… takes a bit of time… sign in and can’t connect! There is a problem communicating with the Google servers !!
- Shop assistant says I need to wait up to 24hours until my phone is registered on the Web. Eh? I want to use the phone now!
- I ask the assistant if they can disable voicebox/answering service. He says he can’t do that. I need to call customer services myself. Argh, crap service.
- I ask how many phones were sold. This is 6pm btw. 5 in this store and about 40 in the Oxford circus launch store. GULP. No fucking way. What a disaster…
- I notice the London paper running a T-mobile advertisement for phones under 50GBP a month. No mention of the Android G1. What?
- No one seems to know the G1 launched today. Nothing in BBC news about the launch. Even the geeks at the Ubuntu Intrepid launch party didn’t know it came out today. Honestly, what a PR FAIL.
I’m bitterly disappointed. :(
- Rang T-mobile customer services about not being to join the network who told me they can’t flag a problem until 18:05. 24hrs after I purchased it.
- The SIM works in my Nokia E65 (I can make calls), but I can’t connect to the Internet. Urgh…
- Why can’t I sign-in with WIFI? Android APN settings are very scary…
- Why do have to sign in to Google at all? Iphone doesn’t force me to sign into Itunes does it?
- Looking at the crap in the package, it tells I need to install the memory card. Can’t find it… Discover it’s already installed in the device.
- Wtf is the CD for? I don’t have a CD ROM drive in my X61 in any case
- Scary story about prices being already slashed in the US. I want to run away screaming.
- The headphones suck
- Eh? You can get the G1 on a 25GBP tariff?
OMG it’s 10:30am and a 3G icon has appeared. I’m signed in! The wait is over. I’m enjoying this little sucker now.
Update: Marek Pawlowski also describes the real G1 experience as a massive FAIL.
Last Update: I’m taking more notes down at Life with a T-mobile G1 in the UK.