Last night I read the Iphone developer guide. I noticed that:
- Iphone doesn’t allow uploads :( so how do people share pictures and stuff?
- No flash or Java. Good.
- Does video with its own formats and size (bad), with good things like byte-range requests. Now if there was support for “byte-range requests for bitmap images” like Jpeg2000…
- Does support PDF. sigh
- The WHATWG is highlighted :)
- CSS media queries seem to work with this, e.g. media=“only screen and (max-device-width: 480px)”
- tel:1–408-555–5555 is how you mark up a telephone number – see my homepage for a tel with hCard example
- It does support .mobi and XHTML mobile profile if you’re stupid enough to use limited and device dependent markup.
In other news I am trying to highlight the disadvantages of .mobi on Wikipedia, though some vandal is making it very hard to get the facts out.
I like others think the Iphone will help push the Web out to a mobile platform with their Safari browser on Iphone doing a decent implementation of Web standards. Good riddance mobile specific crap! One Web for all devices!
* OMG Russell Beattie is back!
* The wireless network will probably let the product down a bit – like 3 has let me down