Here I’ll aim to put some silly stats I’ve picked up from people and newspapers. I’ll try and verify them, as some of them are hard to believe.
- Kissing was banned on TV until only 10 years ago
- Seoul has the largest metro system verified – though much of it is above ground (cheating!)
- Highest (alcohol) drinking for a developed nation
- Highest road accidents for a developed nation
- Highest broadband penetration 2nd to Iceland
- Seoul is the most populated city no third most
- Most homogeneous society (1% are foreigners and many of them are indistinguishable Asians)
Some Korean statistics I’ve made up:
- Most spam (their culture seems to tolerate it!) Not true Though you have no idea how much phone spam I get and people sticking flyers to my door!
- Least crime – it is so safe here
- Least body hair – hard to measure ;)
- Most Canadians outside Canada
- Lowest desktop use of Linux
- Most ActiveX use hence lowest Firefox penetration
- Worst cheese
- Highest on average hours schooled
- Smallest shoe size for a developed nation (I can’t find a regular UK10!)
- Most plastic surgery
- Quite a few Christians about (Red crosses at night!)
- Fantastic at supporting their national teams and amazing at protesting
- More likely to dine out than in
- Most Starcraft watchers – last night I walked past a hairdressing salon to see people glued to the TV watching a multiplayer starcraft game! HOW NUTS IS THAT?
“Developed nation” statistics are usually compiled by the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development and their member countries. Unfortunately their website is terrible as most of the stats are in PDFs and hence completely useless.