I know I should report these as bugs or something. But I am lazy.
I have seen my parents use Firefox in the last couple of days, as I am trying to ween them off IE. Couple of problems:
- They do not understand tabs very well. They should be more prevalent. I think they look too small, hence they do not notice them. Tabs should stretch across perhaps. They really do not get the Red X.
- When using tabs and the dialup connection drops, 5 million popups all saying the same thing. Stupid.
- At least two sites with forms (BT and Speedferries) do not work. Yes JS is enabled. Frustrating.
- It can’t seem to pull up pages offline that I surfed on earlier as well as IE. Is the cache broken?
- My mother initially complained there is no GO button. :)
- They do not resize the page like they should do. Even after showing them repeatedly how to resize. Perhaps the page does not grow like they expect it to.
- They do not seem to use bookmarks. The URL bars autocompletion is what they go by. Although they do end up typing the whole thing.
- They do not read popups. They just try their best to close them. With urgency.
- They do not use the context menu(right mouse button) of the mouse.
- I think sometimes the scroll wheel of the mouse has not worked as expected and hence they do not use it. They opt for the scroll bar.
It amazes me how dependent they are on using the mouse. They do not like to type or use the keyboard in conjunction with mouse. For me I always like to use the keyboard. They always reach for the mouse. And I can tell you, they even find it hard to double click.
There should be a theme for very passive use where a keyboard is absolutely unneccessary for normal effective surfing. This theme should also have an option to turn off images.