So the USB modem attached to my parent’s computer is not compatible with Linux.
SO I’m stuck with XP.
What I hate about XP:
- The console is a joke (no resize, autocompletion)
- The pwd, WHAT THS HELL? C:Documents and SettingsMr Hendry.PRAZE-XE93FLBWBMy Documents
- It just pauses sometimes. I can move the mouse, but the keyboard does not work. WTF?
- I think the firewall blocks my pings from the console
- I really need a spell checker like aspell
- Firefox can’t resume downloads, same goes for pscp. I long for wget and rsync.
- WTF is that crap in the startup. Open office, 16M!
- Why can’t putty tell I am connecting to a Unicoded machine?
- Start menu in XP. WTF?
- The search in XP with stupid dog that reads a book. OMG What a fuck up.
- The dialup I am on is unreliable. It could do a better job of transparently reconnecting IMO. Better job of telling how many times I have disconnected etc.
- SP2’s : “Your machine is insecure because you aren’t running a virus…. blah, blah… ”
- Cluttered desktop with icons.
- Please reboot for these changes to take affect. Sigh
- SP2’s : The unexpected UI stuff where it sort of hides a file download in IE
- I don’t like the font as much as I imagined I would
What I like about XP:
* Image viewer. When I rotate a picture it does NOT seem to destroy the EXIF (unlike feh)
* I like the File explorer.
* Right click context sensitive menu is nice when it works. “Edit” brings up notepad which I want to change to gvim.
* Offline stuff of Outlook works better than Thunderbird. OE is easier to use than Thunderbird.
* When I insert my compact flash card and it opens a window with the pictures previewed nicely.
I wish I somehow downloaded cygwin. Or had a closer look at colinux.
I wish I had my thinkpad running Debian Unstable with a super fast Internet connection so I could sit outside on the patio in the shade looking onto the garden.