As Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix has been out a couple of months now, I think it is safe to talk about it without spoiling the book for anyone. If you wanted to read the book, you should have done by now anyway. Briefly I thought this book was the weakest of the entire series. Here’s why:
- Piss poor use of Sirius’s Mirror
- What were the initials on the prophecy?
- Slow start…. OMG
- Percy’s character development. (Comparing start and end of book)
- Dementors in the start. Under whose control are they? Unclear timeline
- The death scene. Pretty boring?! Far too much hype I guess
- The Veil? WTF? Dead people again?
- The Brains in the tank? WTF?
- Bits where HP doesn’t tell Dumbledore, and the general frustrating theme of poor communication
- Occlumency lessons. What good were they ?
Stuff with Centaurs and Giants. Poorly fits in… For me the previous HP books where really tight books. Where everything came together well, and fit in together. This 5th book was shaky to me. Worse, there was no surprises and a fairly predictable plot… The only thing I can say positively, is that the next book can only get better! Why didn’t any prominent critic speak out about this? Or am I just a hype bitten, bitter and twisted young man? ;)