Since XML is 10 years of age I thought I’d give it the rant treatment. I’ve long grumbled about XML. Here’s why:
- XML is hard to parse computationally (do not regex or grep)
- XML is not human readable
- XML is hard to create
- Google’s Gdata ATOM XML I find is hard to UPDATE
- Alternatives like CSV for unstructured data (often the case) is so much faster and easier
- No native support for XML in my $EDITOR vim
- XML does not work on the Web
- Related XSLT for transforming XML is seriously not fun. XSLT unnecessarily bloats a Web browser. :(
- XML has draconian error handling
- XML attributes makes things ambiguous for markup
- Near impossible to diff (and nicely version control)
A testament to XML‘s waning popularity must have been at the Xtech2008‘s XML@10 when a handful of die hards showed.
I hope to continue see more of JSON, CSV and HTML.