unstable is just that
“unstable is just that” is what some dork says to me on #debian when I said:
i’ve nuked my machine from a dist-upgrade from unstable last night. It won’t boot. The shell doesn’t look right. help. :)
To make matters worse. Last night I did some house cleaning and ripped out all my old kernels to save space. My 6.5G root partition (everything except home) was full!
- Ok, try dpkg or apt news on #debian. Nothing.
- How about blog postings on Debian Planet? Bah…
- I quickly page in mutt and see if debian-devel has talked about it. Hmmm, seemingly no.
- Perhaps debian-user via the lurker interface. Hmmm no.
- Ok, people in #debian-devel will hate me, but I’ll ask there.
- They point to the topic: FUCKED: yaird/kernels (#343042/#343048) Aha!
Ok, I need a rescue CD. Which one I wonder? Let’s try this one grml.
Wouldn’t it be nice to have some sort of Web page like status.debian.org/unstable telling about current high priority problems that will probably affect most Debian users? Right now, I have to look all over the place. Very tiring.